When the term “orthodontics” comes up, what’s the first thing that comes to your mind? Likely, it’s a teen with teeth covered in metal brackets and wires. Many individuals do fit this description. But, today, more and more individuals are opting for Invisalign clear aligners in Cincinnati at Kemper Meadow Family Dentistry instead of traditional metal braces.
Just as the name sounds, Invisalign clear aligners are constructed from nearly invisible polyurethane plastic. Instead of being bonded or cemented to your teeth like clear or metal braces, you can totally remove clear aligners for things like:
- Brushing and flossing your teeth
- Important social occasions
How Invisalign Clear Aligners for Adults Work
Clear Invisalign aligners, like traditional braces, are made for moving teeth gradually. Prior to treatment, we’ll examine your mouth and take diagnostic records of your teeth, such as:
- Digital scans
From the information we obtain, we’ll make a diagnosis and determine if Invisalign is right for you. If so, we’ll work with the aligner software, designing your new smile and planning your treatment process. The goal is to provide you with a healthy bite, so Invisalign doesn’t just straighten your visible teeth; it straightens all of them — top, bottom and back.
Keeping the end result in mind, we create a series of plastic aligners using the initial digital scans or impressions we take of your teeth as the starting point. These aligners are actually plastic replicas of your teeth. You wear them, and they add gentle pressure on your teeth, repositioning them slightly and gradually.
You should wear your aligners 22 hours a day. You’ll wear each set of aligners for two weeks and then move on to the next set. As you keep switching to a new set, your teeth will reach their ideal position over time according to our plan. The total number of clear aligners you’ll need will depend on your personal case. Like with traditional braces, you’ll have to wear a retainer after your teeth reach their new position.
Is Invisalign Clear Aligners for Children?
Since the clear aligners are custom-built to fit tightly, they’re best for teens and adults. Trying to straighten your child’s teeth can be complicated since their mouths are still developing and growing. Therefore, therefore, we’d need to carefully examine your child’s mouth and see if invisalign clear aligners for children is appropriate.
Length of Treatment with Invisalign for Adults
Invisible teeth aligners treatment time is based on the number of teeth you need moved. The more crooked your teeth are or off your bite is, the longer the treatment will take. Treatment generally takes between 10 to 24 months, however, if you had braces as a child and over the years, your teeth have slightly shifted, you might require Invisalign clear aligners for as little as 10 weeks.
Since the aligners aren’t as exact as traditional braces, you might need a “refinement” of your teeth using braces for several months for making other, smaller adjustments after you’ve completed treatment.
Benefits of Invisalign in Cincinnati
Some benefits of clear aligners are:
- Quicker treatment: With bi-weekly aligner changes, you’re well on your way of achieving the smile you desire quicker. Depending on how you respond to treatment, we might consider a longer period of time between each aligner change.
- Better fit: The material used for clear aligners fit well, are comfortable and simple to put on and take off.
- Proven results: The material and features are clinically proven to enhance tooth movement control with aligners
- Effective: Invisalign aligners can treat a large range of teeth-straightening issues like crowding, crossbites, gapped teeth, open bites, underbites and overbites
- Convenient: Clear Invisalign aligners treatment is perfect is you have a busy schedule since you only have to visit our practice every six weeks.
- Comfortable: Clear aligner trays aren’t only comfortable and smooth to wear, they’re also removable, meaning you can keep doing things you normally would from eating to brushing and flossing your teeth.
- A discreet look: If you’re considering orthodontic treatment and believe it’s a private matter or if you just don’t think metal braces will help with your self-image, Invisalign clear aligners may be exactly what you need
- Teeth-grinding protection: If you’re struggling with a teeth-grinding habit, aligners work a lot like nightguards where they’ll provide protection from excessive wear
- More dietary choices: You need to make some modifications to your diet with traditional braces to protect the brackets and wires. With aligners, however, you can still bite into a crispy pizza crust or an apple with no issues
- Improved oral hygiene: With a removable orthodontic appliance, you can get your teeth a lot cleaner and it’s much easier to do so than if you were wearing traditional metal braces
Caring for Your Invisalign Clear Aligners
A key advantage of the aligners is you can remove the tray for easy cleaning. So, be sure you don’t neglect to do this. You’ll have to brush your teeth each time you eat so plaque and food won’t become trapped in your aligners, promoting gum disease and tooth decay. You’ll need to regularly clean your aligners as well. You simply brush them and rinse them with water.
You need to take care in regard to drinks when you’re wearing your aligners. If anything but water seeps into your aligners, it comes in contact with your teeth and until you remove the aligners, it remains there. This can cause staining of your aligners and your teeth. Also, the sugar from drinks like energy drinks, soda and fruit juices can cause you to develop cavities.
While wearing Invisalign aligners is much different than wearing braces, retaining your post-treatment results is just as important with aligners as it is with braces. Like with braces, you’ll need to wear a retainer precisely how we prescribe it after you complete your treatment to protect your new beautiful smile.
Keep in mind, Invisalign clear aligners are usually worn for people with mild minor spacing issues or who have moderately crowded teeth. If you have severe spacing problems or crowding or a severe overbite, underbite or crossbite, you might require a more complex treatment.
Book Your Invisalign in Cincinnati Consultation Today
During your first consultation with our Kemper Meadow Family Dentistry dentist, we’ll go over your orthodontic needs and determine if Invisalign clear aligners treatment is ideal for you. Anything you can do to improve your smile will be a worthwhile investment. Your smile is an important asset that can help with achieving goals in various ways. When your teeth are misaligned, it can cause you to not look or feel your very best.
A beautiful smile is priceless, so talk with us about this cosmetic dentistry treatment. Complete our online form or call us at 1-513-648-9900.