Have you ever wondered if using mouthwash is good or bad? A dentist in Cincinnati, OH will probably answer yes and no. So what does that mean?
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of using mouthwash. Then you can discuss these with your dentist. This will make it easier for you to make an informed decision about what is right for you.
The Pros and Cons of Using Mouthwash
- Helps fight cavities
- Rinses away some bacteria
- Helps keep your gums healthy
- Helps reduce tooth decay
- Gives you fresh breath
- Removes some food particles from your teeth
- Eases the pain of ulcers and canker sores
- Some mouthwash can help whiten your teeth
- Helps fluoride soak into the tooth enamel
- It contains alcohol which can cause pain and irritation
- Only masks bad breath
- Can be dangerous if accidentally swallowed, especially for children
- Increases tooth sensitivity
- Can stain and darken your teeth
- Some dentists think it could lead to oral cancer
- Mouthwashes that contain salt can be dangerous for people on a low sodium diet
So, as you can see, there is no definitive yes or no answer as to whether or not you should use mouthwash every day.
It’s important that you brush your teeth twice a day and floss every day. And, using mouthwash alone doesn’t replace brushing and flossing with mouthwash (if you decide to use mouthwash). Additionally, regular teeth cleaning in Cincinnati, OH will help keep your mouth clean and reduce the number of problems you might encounter. Remember, every time you eat and drink, tarter is accumulating on the surface of your teeth. So seeing a dentist in Cincinnati, Ohio is your best bet for healthy teeth and gums.
If you are looking for a dentist in Cincinnati, OH, please Contact Kemper Meadow Family Dentistry today. We provide top-notch dental care using the most modern equipment and technology available so you can have an easy and as pain-free experience as possible. We look forward to seeing you!